Information sourced from atf.gov
NFA-RELATED ATF PAPER FORMS AND E-FORMS
Navigating ATF forms can be confusing. We organized the information on this page to help you understand what the various forms are used for and what form(s) you may need.
Note that the three primary forms most people will utilize are:
- ATF Form 1: Make and register your own NFA item to an individual, trust, or corporation.
- ATF Form 3: For FFL dealers transferring an NFA item to another FFL or government agency.
- ATF Form 4: Transfer an existing NFA item to an individual, trust, or corporation.
File online or mail your paper form
SELECT TYPE OF ATF FORMS
In this technical age, you have multiple options for how to file various forms. While many forms are still paper-only (must physically mail them in), some forms can now be filled out and submitted electronically through the ATF “eForms” website, saving a lot of time. See below for a quick overview to help understand which forms can be submitted through each process, and some of the pros and cons.
ATF’s eForms allows individuals and members of the firearms industry to file certain forms electronically rather than via paper applications. The electronic filing is designed to be more efficient and accurate and will allow ATF to process the submissions more efficiently.
ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 6A, 9, 10 and 5300.11
Note: The Form 4 is currently not in service pending modifications
– More efficient, accurate, and faster processing time.
– You receive an “electronic” tax stamp (not a real physical tax stamp).
– System is often down for maintenance and unusable.
Traditional Paper Filing
If processing time isn’t your number-one concern, keep in mind that all ATF forms can still be downloaded in PDF format and physically mailed in for processing. There are a few advantages to submitting your forms the old-fashioned way, including receiving a physical tax stamp.
ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6A, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 5300.11
Note: Paper is currently the only option available for Form 4
– Receive physical tax stamp after approval.
– Forms always available for download.
– Errors are easier to address and fix if needed.
– Slower overall processing time.